#51: Interview: Brian Douglass | Child-Friendly Devices and Mentorship
Ubuntu Touch Audiocast
9 setembro 2019
Interview | Brian Douglass | Mentorship and Child-friendly Devices...
In this Episode
- Joe is really all over (Oliver), but only here in spirit.
- Brian Douglass is in the house (again)! Original Interview
- Memory changes - Knocking out the noise
- Life tip: Minivan - Honda Odyssee, dodge the Dodge.
- Brian is a mentor in the community. He helps people get started with programming.
- Brian doesn't fit the developer stereotype:
- No long beard
- No weird interests
- No bad attitude
- One of Brian's beginning projects in GNU/Linux: Indicator Remindor
- What's an indicator? e.g. Nextcloud - interactive icon in the status bar
- YUNO Host - Self hosting. How to install Web-based, mobile-friendly, PGP-supported Roundcube
- Ubuntu Touch needs smoother integration with cloud services
- UBports Telegram groups: Cloud, [RasperyPi], [mycroft], [Asteriod]
- AsteroidOS - alternative to android watches. Can be integrated with Ubuntu Touch.
- Brian Douglass developments:
- Unity8 and dash on edge channel will change things.
- Can we create a child's phone? The ability to shutdown apps or notifications is possible.
- The system is open to create greater control over our OS. We don't need to wait for a megacorporation to do this.
- Life tip: Working from home? Text your kids to get you coffee ;)
- uAdblock - prevents you from connecting to certain domains
- Pi-hole - a DNS server to gain control over your internet connection
- Pinephone shipping soon
- Good for kids
- Good for companies
- Good for longevity - because the UT software is so good
- Launcher Modular - scope functionality
- Edge Channel launcher is a developing story
- Brian Oliver lives
- What would you like to see on on a child-friendly device?
- What ideas do you have for a $150 Pinephone?
- Want to start coding?
- Discuss this Ubuntu Touch Audiocast episode in the Forum right now (before you forget or your passion fades).
- Send us a word of feedback (good or bad)! We would love to hear from you: wayne[at]ubports.com , joe[at]ubports.com