UBUNTU TOUCH AUDIOCAST 035 - TAKING THE HARD ROAD
8 października 2018
Join Wayne (out there) and Joe (in here) as they discuss the 'hard' topics relating to software choices, community interaction, and self reflection...
- Joe-In-Here's favourite music production software LMMS
- Why are they talking about Eternity Frogs again?
- Problem printing PDFs in Ubuntu lead to a big question: What is Real Software?
- Bonus tip: Did you know you can just drag/drop a PDF onto Firefox page and have it fully work without dedicated PDF viewer software? Try it now!
- Do we have 'software allegiances' that fog our vision and decision making?
- What is the 'hard road' and why are we on it?
- Wayne-Out-There in full hypocrisy pronounces 'Guh-nome' as 'Nome' (with silent 'g' ). Grace required!
- A shout out to our only email fanmail "Ian Locke". Thanks, Ian!
- Is the Ubuntu Touch Audiocast (UTA) 'worth it'? You tell us!
- Even though GIMP software is awesome, some people dare say 'it's not professional'
- Wayne destroys this mindset using Blender and Nextcloud as examples (and raving about them)
- Take the high road while on the hard road.
- Don't force your proprietary file types on me and
- while we're at it - don't force your proprietary charging plugs on me.
- ...and, for good measure, don't force your social networks on me, either.
- Joe-In-Here leaves WhatsApp alone in the corner
- Veganism-software analogy
- Wayne fails again by saying 'two factor authentification' instead of 'authentication'. Will there be enough grace left for this hypocrite?
- Joe-In-Here takes a physical hard road so he could get a concussion while doing things like Tough Mudder and Spartan Race
- Wayne and Joe reference a great talk about 'Lego Poop' by Cory Doctorow
- By using an app or a proprietary ecosystem you are supporting and even endorsing it
- The first step on the road to recovery is to shut down accounts for such services. This article tries to make this task attainable
- "90's linux guys": a history of the topic
- By being an 'Old Linux Guy' (OLG), you are isolating yourself from the greater community...
- Upcoming (and young) Developer Stars? Ivan (@vanyasem) and Simon (@tsimonq2), Dalton (@UniversalSuperBox) , Jan (@neothethird)
- Can we fix the 'weird branding' that often accompany OLGs?
- Joe-In-Here confesses his social awkwardness
- Is Linus Torvalds an OLG? Read about his social awkwardness here
- The Ubuntu 'we are all one' seeks to make all things more 'human'
- The UBports community wants to be welcoming to everyone - not just OLGs - 'Grammy can help, man.'
- How can we reconcile OLGs with non-OLGs - to 'Team Human'
- Wayne plugs System 76
- Still saying Ubuntu wrong? Fix it with Joe-in-Here's Ubuntu Touch app
- While you are learning to say Ubuntu correctly, while you are working hard to build our community, we have a call-out to help!
- Remove something unnecessary or unethical from your life (e.g. Un-google yourself)
- Evaluate your openness to others
- How can you apply the Ubuntu philosophy to other parts of your life? Meanwhile, practice saying the word.
- Discuss this episode on the forum
We would love to hear from you: wayne[at]ubports.com , joe[at]ubports.com