Hello again, everyone!
I'm happy to announce that we would like your help to test Ubuntu Touch OTA-9! OTA-9 is slated to release on Wednesday, May 8, 2019. Until then, we need to make sure it's ready to go!
How can I test?
We want to ensure that every release we ship is better than the previous, so we're looking to our entire community to help us with QA (Quality Assurance) of OTA-9.
We've prepared a GitHub Project for OTA-9 QA which lists the issues we'd like your feedback on. The QA column lists issues which do not have complete test results. The Done column lists issues which, thanks to our efforts here, are confirmed to be fixed. The In Progress column lists issues which are not fixed, or the fix introduces a severe negative side effect. The goal at the end of this is to have every issue in the Done column. :)
We're interested in hearing your feedback on everything in the QA column. We want to know:
- Which device are you using?
- Is the issue fixed in your testing?
- Did you notice any side effects to the change as it is listed in the issue or Pull Request?
Testing any issue should be easy. On your device:
- Update all of your apps using "System Settings -> Updates" or "My Apps" in the OpenStore app
- Head to System Settings -> Updates -> Update Settings -> Release Channel
- Go back to the Updates screen to install the downloaded update
After your phone reboots, you'll be on the OTA-9 release candidate! Of course, only step 3 is required if you are already on the
rc channel, this update will come through as normal.
You will receive an image named
(2019-W18) or newer. You can find your image version in System Settings -> About -> OS.
Now you can pick any issue in the QA column in the OTA-9 project, then ensure that you are not able to reproduce the issue. If you can't reproduce the issue, the fix worked! If you can reproduce the issue (or you notice something else isn't right), we want to know about that too. Leave a comment with your device and image version, then let us know the results of your test.
We also have a OTA-9 Call for Testing forum post where we can discuss any questions you may have about anything that comes up during your testing.
What follows is a changelog for this release of Ubuntu Touch. Only changes from UBports contributors are included, those which come from upstream Ubuntu are not listed.
Note that this release does NOT include the latest upstream version of Mir or Unity8, a project we commonly discuss at length. That transition is ongoing and is tracked in the Unity8+Mir upgrade project.
- Change "edge-barrier-sensitivity" gsettings type to "u" from "y", allowing QML to set the value correctly: ubports/unity8#83
- Show up to two lines of the last message in an SMS/MMS thread, fixes ubports/messaging-app#46: ubports/messaging-app#78
- Fix margins of the "To:" field, fixes ubports/messaging-app#47: ubports/messaging-app#79
- Respect the system's grid unit: ubports/qqc2-suru-style#14
- Detect dark theme setting: ubports/qqc2-suru-style#13
- Always rebuild the messaging-app translation template file, fixes ubports/messaging-app#52: ubports/messaging-app#81
- Simplified transitions for StackView: ubports/qqc2-suru-style#16
- Added scalable busy indicator: ubports/qqc2-suru-style#17
- Automatically advance setup wizard on WiFi connection, fixes ubports/ubuntu-touch#845: ubports/unity8#92
- Add "Paste and Go" to the context menu when pressing and holding on the unselected address bar: ubports/morph-browser#153
- Pass the current view when showing a popup, use system icons for page menu, and use proper colors for "save as HTML/PDF" dialog, fixes ubports/morph-browser#156, ubports/morph-browser#158, and ubports/morph-browser#167: ubports/morph-browser#173
- Use theme colors for error pages, fixes ubports/morph-browser#164: ubports/morph-browser#174
- Extend apparmor support for Treble-like '/odm' partitions: ubports/apparmor-easyprof-ubuntu#4
- Add "Search with lilo" to browser: ubports/morph-browser#168
- Remove "Add account" button from messaging app, fixes ubports/messaging-app#51: ubports/messaging-app#80
- Fix some QML warnings and binding loops in messaging app: ubports/messaging-app#86
- Fix the character/message counter: ubports/messaging-app#88
- Use the system icon for sending messages: ubports/messaging-app#91
- Remove htop from the image: ubports/ubuntu-touch-meta#40
- Hide the desktop entry for sync-monitor: ubports/sync-monitor#10
- Provide translated strings for apps using the ui-extras photo editor: ubports/ubuntu-ui-extras#28
- Add exposure editing for apps using the ui-extras photo editor (like the gallery): ubports/ubuntu-ui-extras#29 (further refinement in ubports/ubuntu-ui-extras#33)
- Save an image using the same compression it used before, fixes ubports/ubuntu-ui-extras#31: ubports/ubuntu-ui-extras#31
- Fix libertine tests: ubports/libertine#35
- Set iconSource in list item action icons, fixes ubports/ubuntu-ui-toolkit#34: ubports/ubuntu-ui-toolkit#36
- Fix camera freeze and video recording on the Nexus 5, ubports/ubuntu-touch#23 AND ubports/ubuntu-touch#611: ubports/android_device_lge_hammerhead#18
[Michele Castellazzi & Johannes Renkl]
- Expose more Suru colors ubports/qqc2-suru-style#24
- Merge in the last Suru icons that were created or updated before the project was dropped by Canonical: ubports/ubuntu-themes#4