Join Wayne (out there) and Joe (in here) as they discuss Anbox, Dogfooding, and more...
- Joe introduces the term 'dogfooding'
- Wayne eats pet food.
- Ubuntu Edge didn't happen but it's... still happening (at UBports)!
- Wayne 'dogfoods' Ubuntu Touch as Eater and Seller
- Why should you dogfood your favourite projects?
- There are ways to make Ubuntu Touch better - not just programming / code
- "You've opted out the project if you haven't participated" - TMF
- "It's not about being a consumer it's about being a contributor" - Joe's thoughts (from Wayne's mouth)
- Is the "Top-down mentality" messing up our attitude towards free software projects?
- The natural desire to be creative is satisfied in the UBports community
Anboxing - "Why so much talk about Anbox?"
- Joe demonstrates Wine versus whine
- Joe somewhat kills Wayne's banking app example as a hindrance to dogfooding UT
- Joe steps in with a real life situation where Android was messing up his dogfooding (and discovers that Uber webapp now in OpenStore
- The two valid choices with strong arguments on each side: a) Help improve and test Anbox and put Android app safely on your UT phone b) Commit to not using Anbox and forcing
- Wayne sides with Anbox as a 'bandaid solution' to speed up transition and uses Korean chat app as example
- Joe was excited about Anbox but the bubble burst when he bumped his head
- Test versions of Anbox are there and getting better. For the adventurous, here is a link for more information.
- Wayne exposes bugs on FP2 with Dekko and Notikaringding (if you know what this sentence means, you're deep in the club!)
- "If the only thing stopping someone from moving to Ubuntu Touch is ______ (insert Android app here) then Anbox is a good thing."
- "The most important thing is choice." - Joe
- "Anbox is the Wine of Ubuntu Touch" - Wayne
- Anbox removes excuses from device manufacturers which is massive
- Samsung's Dex thing is good for showing a 'kind of convergence' but is not what we know it could/should be.
- Million dollar question: Why would Samsung waste their time doing Dex when UT and Unity8 are sitting here?
- How do we get Samsung's dev team to start working on UT? With amazing documentation? No! By sticking Marius in a room with them to school them!
- Wayne's prediction (you heard it first here - mark the date): a small manufacturer will raise $5.0M for round 1 fundraising for software and then once working unbeatably and securely, raise second round for hardware and then - boom. UT for the world!
- Ubuntu desktop is proof that we have 'already arrived'
- Joe's Mama and Wayne's Mama both use Ubuntu desktop! Come on, people. Get it together...
- UBports community weaves through our tech life.
- Try dogfooding for a week. If you have both, or a supported UT device, put down your 'other device' and pick up Ubuntu Touch and force yourself to use only that.
- Instead of complaining about a software bug that repeats itself in your life, report it on the appropriate bug-reporting page. If you find it already, make a comment in the bug thread explaining that it affects you, too.
- Start learning a programming language. Python, C++ and QML are three big ones for Ubuntu Touch development.
- Discuss this Ubuntu Touch Audiocast episode in the Forum right now (before you forget or your passion fades)